Tuesday 20 December 2011

In His Steps

  Last night I began to read the book, In His Steps by Charles M. Sheldon for the second time in my life. The first time it was a book I had to read for my schoolwork, and it has been one of the few books that I have so enjoyed that I wanted to read it again. It was the only book that I liked so much I brought a copy of it for myself.
  The reason I love this book is because it is honest. It lets us know that living life for Christ is not easy. We will be misunderstood by others who claim to be Christians, persecuted, and probably branded as being radical. But what a purpose to live for. It is not something that goes along the lines of the modern Christianity "Come to us. You don't have to give up any of your old, sinful ways. Just tack Christianity onto every other bad thing you do. It won't cost you a thing, but it will give you love, joy, peace..."
  What a lie.
  True Christianity is realizing that Jesus didn't come to earth, live a perfect life, then die on a cross for our sins, and not only that, but rise from the dead so that we no longer have to go to Hell when we die, but we can become God's children and go to Heaven when we die. It is realizing that it will cost us our lives, but what is this life anyway? If you give up your life, you will gain it, but if you hold onto it, you will loose it. I want to live with a purpose, not just say I am a Christian and live a life that denies that statement.
  What has God called us to do? Has he called us to go to an upper class church and worship Him with our lips and by raising our hands when the moment feels right? No! He has called us to worship Him by working together to bring God's truth to the world. He has called us to love our neighbors, whether they are rich or poor, by action as well as by telling them the truth about God. (If you want to know the Gospel message put in simple ways, go to by blog The Good (and Bad) News, or take the Way of the Master course by Ray Comfort and Kirk Cameron).
  Will you join me and pledge to not make any decision, big or small, before first asking the question, "What would Jesus do?" And then, once we know the answer, we act on it, doing what Jesus would do.
  I encourage you to get a copy of In His Steps by Charles M. Sheldon and reading it for yourself. You won't be sorry that you did.

No comments: